What is the Kyte 46?
The Osprey Kyte is one of those packs that just gets on with the job with minimal fuss and maximum performance. This lightweight, yet durable pack can cope with a full day out in the hills, some super light backpacking or world travel; the 46 litre size provides room for all your kit and carries it in breathable comfort.
What is it made of?
The majority of the pack is made from a super tough 210D nylon with a water-resistant coating. Nylon quickly overtook canvas in the world of technical rucksacks due to its incredible strength to weight ratio, making it perfect for the Kyte range. A heavier 420D Nylon is used to strengthen key areas and a super-tough 500D Nylon Packcloth is used across the base where the pack gets the most abuse. Together these fabrics ensure your pack is designed to last a lifetime.
What are the features?
Designed specifically for the female form it features a shorter torso length, narrower and shorter shoulder harness with curves designed to accommodate women’s necks, shoulders and chests, and a hip belt that wraps naturally around your curves for better load stabilisation and support.
The Kyte 46 features a traditional lid access into the pack that also allows some downward compression if the pack is partially loaded. and you can also get in through a side access zip that makes it super easy to get at your stuff. There’s also a zipped lower sleeping bag compartment with a removable divider.
Storage options won’t be a problem with the Kyte 46, you get twin hip belt pockets, a front stretch stash pocket, top lid zipped pocket and internal mesh security pocket that features a handy key-clip. The side stretch-mesh pockets are worth a special mention as they will swallow 1 litre water bottles or spare clothing and they feature dual entry points; there’s a forward-facing entrance at the base and a regular opening at the top. This means that you can easily load and unload water bottles whilst wearing the pack without having to dislocate your shoulder.
The Kyte 46 is fully hydration compatible with a clever external sleeve making replenishing your bladder quick and easy. If you are a fan of trekking poles you'll love the Stow-On-The-Go storage system, this allows you to quickly and easily stash the poles when they are not required; collapse them and tuck them away without having to remove the pack or pester your walking buddies to strap them on for you.
Side compression straps pull the weight closer to your back, increasing comfort and carrying efficiency; they also stop gear from rolling about in a half full pack. The top straps have “Reverse StraightJacket Function”, offering additional attachment points if you need to carry extra gear on the outside of your pack; simply thread the side compression straps through the top loop of the daisy chain and then cross the straps over the top loop and across the front of the pack. Buckle the straps together, creating a compression system to hold gear on the front of the pack.
The compression straps at the base of the pack are particularly good for stabilizing and locking the load as they attach directly to the hip belt. When you tighten them up it really locks the load to your hips providing fantastic stability.
You also get sleeping pad straps at the base of the Kyte 46 that, as the name suggest, are really useful for attaching bulky sleep mats, or they can be completely removed to reduce weight if not required. An adjustable sternum strap helps to equalize the load and features a built-in emergency whistle.
The Kyte is also ready for winter duties with twin ice axe loops, an integrated and removable rain cover and multiple lashing points across the front that work well to secure crampons.
What is the backsystem?
The Kyte’s backsystem is all about comfort and stability and is made up of three main components
1. Lightwire Suspension. A lightweight 3.5mm peripheral frame provides support and transfers the weight of the load to the hip-belt, whilst maintaining flexibility for freedom of movement. An “Atilon” flexible frame-sheet spreads the load across the entire backpanel to the peripheral frame.
2. AirScape Backpanel. The ever reliable and comfortable AirScape back-panel features vented and ridged foam sections, overlaid with a breathable, lightweight mesh for maximum comfort and breathability.
3. Spacermesh Harness and hipbelt. The shoulder harness and hip belt are made with a soft, edgeless breathable contact material with a large load bearing surface area for maximum comfort and efficient weight transfer.
Even though the Kyte 46 is available in just one back length, the AirScape back system is adjustable to ensure the perfect fit using a simple, yet highly effective, Velcro pad on the shoulder harness that can be easily set to various heights depending on the user. Please remember that your torso length and not your height will determine the back length. For more advice on pack fitting have a look at our video below.
The Kyte 46 is the perfect partner whether you fancy tackling mountains, forests, winding trails or the city landscape. The lightweight yet comfortable and supportive design means you'll be assured of reliable performance.
- 15mm side compression straps
- Adjustable torso length
- AirScape backpanel with foam ridges for comfort and fit
- Designed for Women
- Dual access fabric side pockets
- Integrated & detachable raincover
- Internal hydration sleeve
- Internal top load compression strap
- LightWire peripheral frame
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Side compression straps
- Single vertical zippered side access point
- Sleeping bag base compartment with internal divider
- Sternum strap with emergency whistle
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Stowable twin ice axe loops
- Stretch front pocket
- Top lid access
- Twin zippered hip belt pockets
- Zip pocket in top lid